Sunday, June 26, 2011

Cycle Montana Day Six

Three Forks to Belgrade

Today's Garmin Link
Well today was the end of the 2011 Cycle Montana saga... kind of a parade lap really. Just a simple ride of 35  miles or so to get back to our point or origin near Bozeman. I had breakfast at the 3-4Ks Cafe in Three Forks and Bike Forums 50+ member Brad saw my bike at the Cafe and stopped in just to say goodbye before taking off down the road. That made me feel really good. I enjoyed Brad's company and think we might be good friends if we lived in the same town.

Again today I probably did not take as many pictures as I should have. We rode by the entrance to Missouri Headwaters State Park, a place I am kind of interested in, but I decided to drive back over later after the ride.  I did this only to find the place shut down due to flooding. What a disappointment! This is the Madison River taken along the way today:... roaring and very muddy with sediment. Not good for flyfishing!


Throughout this event I have mostly ridden along alone, in my own little cocoon so to speak. With only about 60 riders and people starting at different times etc. that is just the nature of these things. There can always be socializing at water stations, lunch and at other meals. But about half way through the ride today something nice happened. Now all Adventure Cycling road rides require riders to display reflective triangles that have your name printed on them and it is possible to notice another persons name while riding along. Well a rider I had chatted with briefly on day one of the ride cruised up by me and it turns out that her last name is the same as mine and a long conversation about family origins ensued as the miles rolled by. We agreed to meet up for pictures back at camp. It was really nice to make a new friend even if it was at the end.

Well, as I said, I did not take many pictures today. But here is one taken at the water stop. Mechanic Don is in dark sweatshirt.
This was taken in camp as people packed up to go home.
 

This is the tour baggage guy. Matt. He was very affable all week long and is greatly appreciated. He also gave a very nice talk on Montana history last night! Thanks, Matt!
Larry (left), Richard and I had a nice dinner and terrific conversation tonight. Richard says he likes his Bike Friday more than his Pinarello!
Thank you Old Reliable! You did not let me down!

No comments:

Post a Comment