Monday, June 6, 2011

Catching Up- The Last May Training Rides Before "Cycle Montana"

May 22 training ride- 35 miles... getting ready for next month's Cycle Montana event: a six day supported tour of about 60 miles per day.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87436971
May 23- Today a 45 mile ride seemed a LOT harder than yesterday's 35 miler! Set out to do at least a three hour ride and it was very sunny for the first time I can remember this year. The last eight miles were into a light NW wind and I was really feeling it at the end. Wished I had taken a little more water on board too. 14.8 MPH average was very fast for the amount of perceived effort overall.

May 24- Easy "recovery" ride today... did not feel much like riding but went out earlier than normal due to expected rain later. Kind of felt like going on longer once I started but kept it short... storm looking possible near end. 23 miles and change.

May 26- Great ride today after day off. Felt real strong but ran out of time for longer ride due to meeting. Eating bananas and rest seems to agree with me. Took as many hills as possible to test out granny gears which seem very low. About 37 miles- 2 1/2 hours. Weather sunny and coolish... wind mostly North 8-15.

May 27- Dismal weather and a little tired today so I just rode some hill repeats around my home neighborhood. 700 feet of climbing in ten miles... that should be a good thing. Lots of stopping for traffic made the ride a bit tedious. 
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/88396779

May 28- With rain forecast for tomorrow and today's conditions pretty good I wanted to put some real time in the saddle in today. Only issue was a 5-15 MPH west wind that was mostly a relatively neutral crosswind. Though I was pretty tired the last hour, the first 50 miler of the year did not leave me dead and exhausted. I maintained my speed pretty well in the end too. Paid attention to hydration and ate a banana and a Cliff Bar, all of which seemed to help my energy a lot. Just a few more of these and I will feel ready for Cycle Montana next month. 

May 29- Just putting in easy miles today to avoid a zero day since weather looks bad for tomorrow. Did a new loop combining Smith Park and Aksarben that was fairly interesting. About 26 miles

May 31- Finished off a good training month with two Sprague Loops today, something I have never done before. Over 48 miles total and could easily have gone on for 50 or more but it did not seem that important. Garmin shows 1200 feet of climbing. I was not very tired during the ride of nearly four hours, so my endurance seems to be coming around now for next month's big ride. The next two weeks are going to be critical but I think I'm on track. Preparing for the Montana climbs is hard here because all of our hills are short and irregular slopes. It is going to be interesting to experience something different.


Total May Mileage= 682
May Riding Hours- about 49 

2 comments:

  1. Is that shadow on the wall the devil or the Playboy bunny?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mysterious and broodingly evocative, isn't it? GRIN

    ReplyDelete