Saturday, December 31, 2011

Last Post of 2011

Well, there's only about two hours left of the year 2011 so this seems like a pretty good time to reflect on the year's accomplishments. There have been a good many things to savor in my cycling life this year. I met my goal of 5000 miles plus another 226 or so. This exceeded 2010's mileage by about 200 and I did it in about 25 fewer rides. My average speed was faster than ever before. I am feeling incredibly healthy and stronger than ever. I enjoyed myself thoroughly. I did not cash and get hurt.

I rode in some beautiful places this year, the most noteworthy being my week in Montana in June.
A number of "Bike, Wine, Food" events held by Omaha's Bikemasters 
bike shop were extremely enjoyable.
Meeting and introducing my new Chinese friend Jinli Liu to the joys of road recreational cycling was a really great experience and I have already posted about that. 

We are now getting into the indoor riding season: a chance to rest up a bit from a year of long outdoor rides and gain the benefits of short but intense training sessions indoors. For the last month a group of us from UNO have been training twice a week in our friends' "Velo Garage". This is really a blast and highly productive. I will be posting more about the Velo Garage experience soon.
More than anything though, I think it's the plain old enjoyment of the everyday rides that have made this year's cycling experience mean so much to me. I don't seem to get tired of that. Most of these everyday rides are solitary experiences and I guess I enjoy that too. But good people and special places do add something very special at times. There is a lot to look forward to in 2012.




No comments:

Post a Comment